Hi guest. Welcome to FreakingNews! Register (free) or Login     
    Live Help  
FreakingNews homepage
Forums | FN T-Shirts | Chat Room | Site News | Member Search | Hall of Fame | 

All Forums
General Forum: Site News, Bugs, and General Chat

Gradual Site Re-Design


Register or Login
to Post in This Thread.


Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
MsgtBob
Republicans
1/12/2014 1:09:38 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 12:53:30 AM, SplatShot said:

On 1/12/2014 12:03:38 AM, MsgtBob said:
I hope you are going to fix the comment boxes so they work? The only way I have found to leave a comment is to click on an image to open that image's comments. Then when you leave a comment you can click the button twice to have it accepted. On the full pages there is no button to click except at the bottom of the page, and I tried adding a comment on an image and then hitting the button at the bottom of the page. It did not accept the comment.

Maybe I am just too dense and can't see the simple way to comment?



I tried posting in the manner you described above Bob.
My comments were recorded and so was yours from what I can tell..It's just that the front contest page lags behind on updating your post or anyone's comment..
If you click on the 'full size' link, likely you will see your comment. That page updates real time, way ahead of the contest page.



Nope. The two comments I made (that took) on the latest contest, I made by clicking on the image to get to the comments. The one that I tried using the comment box on the contest page and clicking the button on the bottom of the page, has still not shown up.

Comments: 4954
Contest Entries: 36
Aargh!

NewsMaster
Independents
1/12/2014 2:02:59 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
OK, when you clicked on the Button at the bottom of the contest page, what happened next - did you see site redirecting you to the second contest page?
Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

MsgtBob
Republicans
1/12/2014 2:13:08 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 2:02:59 AM, NewsMaster said:
OK, when you clicked on the Button at the bottom of the contest page, what happened next - did you see site redirecting you to the second contest page?


Yep, it went to the next page. The comment I submitted for "While my guitar gently weeps" has still not shown up though. I gave it a Nice Job!
Comments: 4954
Contest Entries: 36
Aargh!

NewsMaster
Independents
1/12/2014 2:21:15 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 2:13:08 AM, MsgtBob said:

On 1/12/2014 2:02:59 AM, NewsMaster said:
OK, when you clicked on the Button at the bottom of the contest page, what happened next - did you see site redirecting you to the second contest page?


Yep, it went to the next page. The comment I submitted for "While my guitar gently weeps" has still not shown up though. I gave it a Nice Job!



It's the cache lag of the contest page we were discussing. Your comment appeared instantly in the page view:
http://www.freakingnews.com/While-My-Guitar-Gently-Weeps-Pictures-126126.asp

and it did not appear in the contest view (at the time of your writing) because the cache for ended contests does not refresh once every 5 minutes like it does for active contests. I did reset the contest cache now and your comment appears there now.
So, please be assured that your comments are processed, and will appear instantly in the entry view pages, but they may take longer to appear on the contest view pages especially if the contest is finished.

[Edited by User on 1/12/2014 2:22:36 AM]
Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

MsgtBob
Republicans
1/12/2014 2:39:56 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 2:21:15 AM, NewsMaster said:

On 1/12/2014 2:13:08 AM, MsgtBob said:

On 1/12/2014 2:02:59 AM, NewsMaster said:
OK, when you clicked on the Button at the bottom of the contest page, what happened next - did you see site redirecting you to the second contest page?


Yep, it went to the next page. The comment I submitted for "While my guitar gently weeps" has still not shown up though. I gave it a Nice Job!



It's the cache lag of the contest page we were discussing. Your comment appeared instantly in the page view:
http://www.freakingnews.com/While-My-Guitar-Gently-Weeps-Pictures-126126.asp

and it did not appear in the contest view (at the time of your writing) because the cache for ended contests does not refresh once every 5 minutes like it does for active contests. I did reset the contest cache now and your comment appears there now.
So, please be assured that your comments are processed, and will appear instantly in the entry view pages, but they may take longer to appear on the contest view pages especially if the contest is finished.

[Edited by User on 1/12/2014 2:22:36 AM]


Okay. Thanks!

Comments: 4954
Contest Entries: 36
Aargh!

rajeshstar
Independents
1/12/2014 8:49:37 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
The overall site re-design is awesome... but wanted to bring few observations and suggestions:

1) Spell check feature is disabled in the new layout. If it would be than it's makes task easier to give accurate comments.

2) Vote History link for a contest is kept out. This makes the user to judge his progress on Karma and Voting Star.

3) The font in the comments section looks smaller... After the contest over, if we wanted to see who commented what.. the size is bit smaller

Please look into it if anything can be done on these points.
Comments: 22365
Contest Entries: 110
Master of the Universe

SplatShot
Independents
1/12/2014 11:23:06 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
As I'm scrolling thru the completed contest this morning I realize how many times I ask myself after the top 4, "In what position did my fellow freakster's chop finish in today?" Is there anyway to have the page denote the number of that finishing position along with the entree? As myself, I feel many of the entrants give that placement number a lot of value. A mark of achievement and/or one to be improved upon. I think it would be good. But maybe you have other good reason(s) not to display them.

I also noticed I've lost the options to 'view all entries with comments' I used that option in conjunction with the 'high-rez view' to see the comments update earlier. I'm pretty sure given the nice size of the pictures, that will be Cool once I get used to it. I don't mind having to tick on the + tab to see the comments, I just wish the contest page could update them a little quicker.???

And the 'My Stats' link at the bottom of the new contest page is acting up again.
Comments: 5260
Contest Entries: 244
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.

NewsMaster
Independents
1/12/2014 12:55:50 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 8:49:37 AM, rajeshstar said:
The overall site re-design is awesome... but wanted to bring few observations and suggestions:

1) Spell check feature is disabled in the new layout. If it would be than it's makes task easier to give accurate comments.

2) Vote History link for a contest is kept out. This makes the user to judge his progress on Karma and Voting Star.

3) The font in the comments section looks smaller... After the contest over, if we wanted to see who commented what.. the size is bit smaller

Please look into it if anything can be done on these points.



Thanks for your compliments and the feedback, Rajesh.

Here are my answers:
1) Spell-checking option really depends on the browser you use, and the option for spell-checking and languages there.
I still see my browser Chrome spell-checking the inputs in text fields (like comment text boxes).

2) Vote history link is there in the "Contest Options" box on the right side. It was missing for only some 12 hours and is now back. For obvious reasons it only appears after the contest voting is finished.

3) The font IS smaller but it's the same standard size facebook is using, so I thought people are used to it. If we make it bigger it won't look as elegant in this new design.
Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

NewsMaster
Independents
1/12/2014 2:04:05 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 11:23:06 AM, SplatShot said:
As I'm scrolling thru the completed contest this morning I realize how many times I ask myself after the top 4, "In what position did my fellow freakster's chop finish in today?" Is there anyway to have the page denote the number of that finishing position along with the entree? As myself, I feel many of the entrants give that placement number a lot of value. A mark of achievement and/or one to be improved upon. I think it would be good. But maybe you have other good reason(s) not to display them.



Good suggestion! I have added the entry rank/position - it is shown in all finished contests now for all entries except the top 4 (for the top 4 winners their trophies speak for their positions already)


I also noticed I've lost the options to 'view all entries with comments' I used that option in conjunction with the 'high-rez view' to see the comments update earlier. I'm pretty sure given the nice size of the pictures, that will be Cool once I get used to it. I don't mind having to tick on the + tab to see the comments, I just wish the contest page could update them a little quicker.???


That option is there - please look at the "Contest Options" box in the right column. You will see these links:

"all entries" - shows all entries on one page.

"all comments" - shows all entries on one page with all comments shown under each entry

"full view" - link to a hi-res contest version (not yet redesigned)

"unrated only" - shows the entries you did not rate yet (active contests only)

"vote history" - you know what it is (finished contests only)


And the 'My Stats' link at the bottom of the new contest page is acting up again.


Fixed

Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

SplatShot
Independents
1/12/2014 3:01:44 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 2:04:05 PM, NewsMaster said:

On 1/12/2014 11:23:06 AM, SplatShot said:
As I'm scrolling thru the completed contest this morning I realize how many times I ask myself after the top 4, "In what position did my fellow freakster's chop finish in today?" Is there anyway to have the page denote the number of that finishing position along with the entree? As myself, I feel many of the entrants give that placement number a lot of value. A mark of achievement and/or one to be improved upon. I think it would be good. But maybe you have other good reason(s) not to display them.



Good suggestion! I have added the entry rank/position - it is shown in all finished contests now for all entries except the top 4 (for the top 4 winners their trophies speak for their positions already)


I also noticed I've lost the options to 'view all entries with comments' I used that option in conjunction with the 'high-rez view' to see the comments update earlier. I'm pretty sure given the nice size of the pictures, that will be Cool once I get used to it. I don't mind having to tick on the + tab to see the comments, I just wish the contest page could update them a little quicker.???


That option is there - please look at the "Contest Options" box in the right column. You will see these links:




Pretty Cool!
Thanks Newsy!
I found the links, I was still looking in the text below the theme post. Much better, cleans it up nicely! And will be even better when you get all the pages upgraded!


Comments: 5260
Contest Entries: 244
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true.

rajeshstar
Independents
1/13/2014 1:23:23 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 12:55:50 PM, NewsMaster said:

On 1/12/2014 8:49:37 AM, rajeshstar said:
The overall site re-design is awesome... but wanted to bring few observations and suggestions:

1) Spell check feature is disabled in the new layout. If it would be than it's makes task easier to give accurate comments.

2) Vote History link for a contest is kept out. This makes the user to judge his progress on Karma and Voting Star.

3) The font in the comments section looks smaller... After the contest over, if we wanted to see who commented what.. the size is bit smaller

Please look into it if anything can be done on these points.



Thanks for your compliments and the feedback, Rajesh.

Here are my answers:
1) Spell-checking option really depends on the browser you use, and the option for spell-checking and languages there.
I still see my browser Chrome spell-checking the inputs in text fields (like comment text boxes).

2) Vote history link is there in the "Contest Options" box on the right side. It was missing for only some 12 hours and is now back. For obvious reasons it only appears after the contest voting is finished.

3) The font IS smaller but it's the same standard size facebook is using, so I thought people are used to it. If we make it bigger it won't look as elegant in this new design.



Thanks Newsy for your response...

I got the spell check feauture... I was looking it in Internet Explorer... Now I started using Chrome

Got the vote history as well.....

and font size is concerned I have increased by browser view size to make myself comfortable
Comments: 22365
Contest Entries: 110
Master of the Universe

Hitspinner
Independents
1/13/2014 1:27:20 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 2:39:56 AM, MsgtBob said:

On 1/12/2014 2:21:15 AM, NewsMaster said:

On 1/12/2014 2:13:08 AM, MsgtBob said:

On 1/12/2014 2:02:59 AM, NewsMaster said:
OK, when you clicked on the Button at the bottom of the contest page, what happened next - did you see site redirecting you to the second contest page?


Yep, it went to the next page. The comment I submitted for "While my guitar gently weeps" has still not shown up though. I gave it a Nice Job!



It's the cache lag of the contest page we were discussing. Your comment appeared instantly in the page view:
http://www.freakingnews.com/While-My-Guitar-Gently-Weeps-Pictures-126126.asp

and it did not appear in the contest view (at the time of your writing) because the cache for ended contests does not refresh once every 5 minutes like it does for active contests. I did reset the contest cache now and your comment appears there now.
So, please be assured that your comments are processed, and will appear instantly in the entry view pages, but they may take longer to appear on the contest view pages especially if the contest is finished.

[Edited by User on 1/12/2014 2:22:36 AM]


Okay. Thanks!




Yeah, Sam bug here only I commented a whole bunch on a whole bunch of pics and they either don't show up at all or do after two or three clicks on the send. The send tab acts like a gummy key. Sorry, I have no suggestions on how to fix that unless they give you a sensitivity feature in the tab code

Comments: 17244
Contest Entries: 1280
Hitspinner the Wise

Hitspinner
Independents
1/13/2014 1:29:17 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
However, I'm blown away at the new site functions. I am loving it.
Comments: 17244
Contest Entries: 1280
Hitspinner the Wise

NewsMaster
Independents
1/13/2014 5:03:43 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/13/2014 1:23:23 AM, rajeshstar said:
Thanks Newsy for your response...

I got the spell check feauture... I was looking it in Internet Explorer... Now I started using Chrome

Got the vote history as well.....

and font size is concerned I have increased by browser view size to make myself comfortable



Excellent, thanks rajesh!
Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

NewsMaster
Independents
1/13/2014 5:05:04 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/13/2014 1:27:20 AM, Hitspinner said:
Yeah, Sam bug here only I commented a whole bunch on a whole bunch of pics and they either don't show up at all or do after two or three clicks on the send. The send tab acts like a gummy key. Sorry, I have no suggestions on how to fix that unless they give you a sensitivity feature in the tab code


I fixed the issue with the comment submit, I think. Please let me know if this happens to you again.

Thanks for the compliments too!

Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

NewsMaster
Independents
1/13/2014 5:05:53 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/12/2014 3:01:44 PM, SplatShot said:
Pretty Cool!
Thanks Newsy!
I found the links, I was still looking in the text below the theme post. Much better, cleans it up nicely! And will be even better when you get all the pages upgraded!

You are welcome!
Stay tuned for the next pages to be upgraded

Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Hitspinner
Independents
1/13/2014 11:37:54 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/13/2014 5:05:04 AM, NewsMaster said:

On 1/13/2014 1:27:20 AM, Hitspinner said:
Yeah, Sam bug here only I commented a whole bunch on a whole bunch of pics and they either don't show up at all or do after two or three clicks on the send. The send tab acts like a gummy key. Sorry, I have no suggestions on how to fix that unless they give you a sensitivity feature in the tab code


I fixed the issue with the comment submit, I think. Please let me know if this happens to you again.

Thanks for the compliments too!




Thank you sir. I'll let you know.

Comments: 17244
Contest Entries: 1280
Hitspinner the Wise

Hitspinner
Independents
1/13/2014 6:24:19 PM


Status: Commander in Chief
Still a little sluggish. The comments don't seem to want to send the first click even after waiting 10 seconds or so. But they fire off within three seconds if I double click. Hope that helps. it's got to be frustrating


Oh by the way, that glitch only applies on the contest pages and not here in the forums. Here they fire instantly

[Edited by User on 1/13/2014 6:25:57 PM]
Comments: 17244
Contest Entries: 1280
Hitspinner the Wise

NewsMaster
Independents
1/13/2014 6:51:42 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 1/13/2014 6:24:19 PM, Hitspinner said:
Still a little sluggish. The comments don't seem to want to send the first click even after waiting 10 seconds or so. But they fire off within three seconds if I double click. Hope that helps. it's got to be frustrating


Oh by the way, that glitch only applies on the contest pages and not here in the forums. Here they fire instantly

[Edited by User on 1/13/2014 6:25:57 PM]


Okay, please tell me if that happens when you are on the contest page, OR on an entry page (they use two different forms).
Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Hitspinner
Independents
1/13/2014 9:14:57 PM


Status: Commander in Chief
Sticky controls on the enlarged page and standard format page, both the scrollable entries (Gang of all connected entries) and the pages where you click the arrow to advance or view prior. Call me if you need to.
Comments: 17244
Contest Entries: 1280
Hitspinner the Wise

Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You must log in to comment!

home - register - login - contests - galleries - FAQ - terms of service - tutorials - guidelines - privacy - copyright - contact - ^top

8 Ball Gadget Fish Vladimir Putin Eating Victor Yanukovich ...Green and Pink Seahorses MacDonalds Smoked Fries

2019, Freaking News. Code by Worth1000. Page generated at 10/23/2019 11:05:20 AM in 0.078 seconds.