Hi guest. Welcome to FreakingNews! Register (free) or Login     
    Live Help  
FreakingNews homepage
Forums | FN T-Shirts | Chat Room | Site News | Member Search | Hall of Fame | 

All Forums
News Contests Discussions

Surprised at results


Register or Login
to Post in This Thread.


Page 1 2 3
pegleg
Independents
9/20/2012 1:56:27 PM


Status: Presidential Chief of Staff

On 9/18/2012 5:02:35 PM, AzureSky said:

On 9/7/2012 3:53:04 AM, Malcolmxy said:
Fantasy chops are AWESOME! I've not made one yet, but I'm thinking about doing them exclusively from now on...they're just so interesting and emo.

I love emo.



Wasn't it you who said you didn't like the fantasy, fluffy bunny type entries?




No, I said they should display more Photoshop skills in them. Rather than just cut and paste one image on a bg and call it done.
Was just clarifying...
Comments: 1761
Contest Entries: 199

Chili
Independents
9/20/2012 2:31:51 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 9/20/2012 1:56:27 PM, pegleg said:

On 9/18/2012 5:02:35 PM, AzureSky said:

On 9/7/2012 3:53:04 AM, Malcolmxy said:
Fantasy chops are AWESOME! I've not made one yet, but I'm thinking about doing them exclusively from now on...they're just so interesting and emo.

I love emo.



Wasn't it you who said you didn't like the fantasy, fluffy bunny type entries?




No, I said they should display more Photoshop skills in them. Rather than just cut and paste one image on a bg and call it done.
Was just clarifying...





I certainly agree with you Pegleg ,I have seen some people put in entries that took maybe 1 hour to out together (1 maybe 2 cut & paste jobs) with a simple shadow in it & they get in the top 4's . Plus ,i don't think 50% of the people who vote ,take their time & look at the high res photo ,to see how much work (Hidden) has put into it. Plus the fact that , if you've been around here (like you have), you know what styles members create (as far as entries) .

[Edited by Moderator on 9/20/2012 5:44:33 PM]
Comments: 1696
Contest Entries: 327
Truly great madness can not be achieved without using Photoshop ;-)

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/21/2012 5:34:16 AM


Status: Attorney General

On 9/20/2012 2:31:51 PM, Chili said:

On 9/20/2012 1:56:27 PM, pegleg said:

On 9/18/2012 5:02:35 PM, AzureSky said:

On 9/7/2012 3:53:04 AM, Malcolmxy said:
Fantasy chops are AWESOME! I've not made one yet, but I'm thinking about doing them exclusively from now on...they're just so interesting and emo.

I love emo.



Wasn't it you who said you didn't like the fantasy, fluffy bunny type entries?




No, I said they should display more Photoshop skills in them. Rather than just cut and paste one image on a bg and call it done.
Was just clarifying...





I certainly agree with you Pegleg ,I have seen some people put in entries that took maybe 1 hour to out together (1 maybe 2 cut & paste jobs) with a simple shadow in it & they get in the top 4's . Plus ,i don't think 50% of the people who vote ,take their time & look at the high res photo ,to see how much work (Hidden) has put into it. Plus the fact that , if you've been around here (like you have), you know what styles members create (as far as entries) .

[Edited by Moderator on 9/20/2012 5:44:33 PM]



2 cut and pastes and shadows takes an hour? Consider me even happier than I was before that I don't use Photoshop. 2 complex cuts (which means I might actually mask them as opposed to rough cut and "un-erase" which Corel has and I've not seen in Photoshop) and pastes with shadowing and image clean-up (hue, contrast, + whatever else, and then pick a filter) is max of 20 minutes.

Given that most of these are fairly contrasting backgrounds to what is being cut out, you can drop that to 10 minutes or less.



9 layers, at least 1 effect/filter/modification to each layer (except the text layer...I didn't do anything to that one.)

[Edited by User on 9/21/2012 5:40:46 AM]
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Chili
Independents
9/21/2012 12:43:16 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 9/21/2012 5:34:16 AM, Malcolmxy said:

On 9/20/2012 2:31:51 PM, Chili said:

On 9/20/2012 1:56:27 PM, pegleg said:

On 9/18/2012 5:02:35 PM, AzureSky said:

On 9/7/2012 3:53:04 AM, Malcolmxy said:
Fantasy chops are AWESOME! I've not made one yet, but I'm thinking about doing them exclusively from now on...they're just so interesting and emo.

I love emo.



Wasn't it you who said you didn't like the fantasy, fluffy bunny type entries?




No, I said they should display more Photoshop skills in them. Rather than just cut and paste one image on a bg and call it done.
Was just clarifying...





I certainly agree with you Pegleg ,I have seen some people put in entries that took maybe 1 hour to out together (1 maybe 2 cut & paste jobs) with a simple shadow in it & they get in the top 4's . Plus ,i don't think 50% of the people who vote ,take their time & look at the high res photo ,to see how much work (Hidden) has put into it. Plus the fact that , if you've been around here (like you have), you know what styles members create (as far as entries) .

[Edited by Moderator on 9/20/2012 5:44:33 PM]



2 cut and pastes and shadows takes an hour? Consider me even happier than I was before that I don't use Photoshop. 2 complex cuts (which means I might actually mask them as opposed to rough cut and "un-erase" which Corel has and I've not seen in Photoshop) and pastes with shadowing and image clean-up (hue, contrast, + whatever else, and then pick a filter) is max of 20 minutes.

Given that most of these are fairly contrasting backgrounds to what is being cut out, you can drop that to 10 minutes or less.



9 layers, at least 1 effect/filter/modification to each layer (except the text layer...I didn't do anything to that one.)

[Edited by User on 9/21/2012 5:40:46 AM][/reply



Masking is very common & used more by photoshoppers then erasing these days . As far as detailed areas that need fine tuning , plus the the zoom tool (which is on all versions of photoshop) you can really see what your doing more close up. I see your fire stock , you didn't mask (erase) the major area around the flames . All i can say is take your time , (also save your process of work), take a break in between your photoshopping . That way your can come up with other ideas for your chop !!!! Have fun Malcolmxy !!!!
Comments: 1696
Contest Entries: 327
Truly great madness can not be achieved without using Photoshop ;-)

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/21/2012 12:52:00 PM


Status: Attorney General





Masking is very common & used more by photoshoppers then erasing these days . As far as detailed areas that need fine tuning , plus the the zoom tool (which is on all versions of photoshop) you can really see what your doing more close up. I see your fire stock , you didn't mask (erase) the major area around the flames . All i can say is take your time , (also save your process of work), take a break in between your photoshopping . That way your can come up with other ideas for your chop !!!! Have fun Malacolmxy !!!!


I was trying to get done in under 10 minutes. (also, I hate masking. Bo-ring... I only do it if it is absolutely necessary. Every single image was cut out in that pic - i.e. no masking. I didn't smooth out the fire, which is why you noticed...again, trying to break the 10 minute barrier...just to prove a point. I take my time, otherwise...thanks, though.)

Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/21/2012 12:52:44 PM


Status: Attorney General
the lighting on flav's suit was pretty good, though, no?
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Chili
Independents
9/21/2012 1:09:14 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 9/21/2012 12:52:44 PM, Malcolmxy said:
the lighting on flav's suit was pretty good, though, no?



Yes , the lighting on his suit is really well done !!!!
Comments: 1696
Contest Entries: 327
Truly great madness can not be achieved without using Photoshop ;-)

Chili
Independents
9/21/2012 1:12:23 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 9/21/2012 12:52:44 PM, Malcolmxy said:
the lighting on flav's suit was pretty good, though, no?



I've never worked with Corel software , but my question is ]]] doesn't Corel have a lasso tool like photoshop , where you can crop your image , Then fine tune it ???
Comments: 1696
Contest Entries: 327
Truly great madness can not be achieved without using Photoshop ;-)

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/21/2012 1:43:58 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 9/21/2012 1:12:23 PM, Chili said:

On 9/21/2012 12:52:44 PM, Malcolmxy said:
the lighting on flav's suit was pretty good, though, no?



I've never worked with Corel software , but my question is ]]] doesn't Corel have a lasso tool like photoshop , where you can crop your image , Then fine tune it ???



Yeah...I prefer to use the magic wand and then "reverse mask" (unerase any portion of the pic that was taken out that shouldn't have been, then erase out any portion that remains that shouldn't. After that, pop off 1 to 2 pixels off the whole thing, "Smooth" it if necessary, feather it if necessary and then whatever. The only thing I ever mask is complex hair or something similar.)

More flav...no masking on this hair, even (it was a large enough source that it wasn't necessary)



DQ'd from W1K because it "didn't fit the theme" ...except it totally did.

(NOTE - Corel has nearly all the tools that photoshop has, but it's 32 bit, which sucks, and a lot of the tools aren't quite as good...I'm hoping some of the glaring issues get fixed with X5. X4 was a big improvement over X3, so it's not out of the question Cross your fingers...)

(NOTE2 - it's infinitely cheaper, can use all photoshop plug-ins and brushes (though I've never used any add-on brushes in my life), has macros (also haven't delved into these yet, but not opposed to them like I am brushes), and is WAY easier to start out but also has enough advanced tools to give photoshop a run for its money (when someone more skilled than I am uses it...I got issues, as you can see and read...obviously))

(NOTE3 - the bible itself could use some work, but since it got DQ'd, I never bothered...)

[Edited by User on 9/21/2012 1:44:36 PM]
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Chili
Independents
9/21/2012 2:01:16 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 9/21/2012 1:43:58 PM, Malcolmxy said:

On 9/21/2012 1:12:23 PM, Chili said:

On 9/21/2012 12:52:44 PM, Malcolmxy said:
the lighting on flav's suit was pretty good, though, no?



I've never worked with Corel software , but my question is ]]] doesn't Corel have a lasso tool like photoshop , where you can crop your image , Then fine tune it ???



Yeah...I prefer to use the magic wand and then "reverse mask" (unerase any portion of the pic that was taken out that shouldn't have been, then erase out any portion that remains that shouldn't. After that, pop off 1 to 2 pixels off the whole thing, "Smooth" it if necessary, feather it if necessary and then whatever. The only thing I ever mask is complex hair or something similar.)

More flav...no masking on this hair, even (it was a large enough source that it wasn't necessary)



DQ'd from W1K because it "didn't fit the theme" ...except it totally did.

(NOTE - Corel has nearly all the tools that photoshop has, but it's 32 bit, which sucks, and a lot of the tools aren't quite as good...I'm hoping some of the glaring issues get fixed with X5. X4 was a big improvement over X3, so it's not out of the question Cross your fingers...)

(NOTE2 - it's infinitely cheaper, can use all photoshop plug-ins and brushes (though I've never used any add-on brushes in my life), has macros (also haven't delved into these yet, but not opposed to them like I am brushes), and is WAY easier to start out but also has enough advanced tools to give photoshop a run for its money (when someone more skilled than I am uses it...I got issues, as you can see and read...obviously))

(NOTE3 - the bible itself could use some work, but since it got DQ'd, I never bothered...)

[Edited by User on 9/21/2012 1:44:36 PM]



I like your bible quote , Funny bro , keep up the Humor & good work !!!!

Grtz, from Amsterdam ,the land of Milk & Honey , where everything is a trip !!!!!

Chili
Comments: 1696
Contest Entries: 327
Truly great madness can not be achieved without using Photoshop ;-)

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/21/2012 2:25:42 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 9/21/2012 2:01:16 PM, Chili said:


I like your bible quote , Funny bro , keep up the Humor & good work !!!!

Grtz, from Amsterdam ,the land of Milk & Honey , where everything is a trip !!!!!

Chili


I didn't quote the bible.

Genesis 38:10 And the thing which he did displeased the Lord: wherefore he slew him also.

Perhaps the most misunderstood chapter/verse of the bible, and the cause of a lot of hub bub lately around health insurance (here in the states...I'm sure they cover gender modification surgery where you're at).

You need a lot of information before you start reading the bible, and a lot more before you start quoting it. I'm pretty confident on this one, though.

Peace out, son.
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

pegleg
Independents
9/21/2012 6:51:09 PM


Status: Presidential Chief of Staff
Contests here usually have more than a ten minute deadline, though. If you think you can mask an image under that, just think how nice it will look if you really take your time. YES there are ways to mask (cut out) an image very easily and quickly. I can mask an image in about 4 or 5 clicks if I want... but that is kinda phoning it in, for lack of a better term. Believe me, it shows in the final image.

On that note, I always wondered why a contest will open, then within an hour there may be three or four entries....It isn't a race, why not take the time to make it something presentable?
Comments: 1761
Contest Entries: 199

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/21/2012 9:50:25 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 9/21/2012 6:51:09 PM, pegleg said:
Contests here usually have more than a ten minute deadline, though. If you think you can mask an image under that, just think how nice it will look if you really take your time. YES there are ways to mask (cut out) an image very easily and quickly. I can mask an image in about 4 or 5 clicks if I want... but that is kinda phoning it in, for lack of a better term. Believe me, it shows in the final image.

On that note, I always wondered why a contest will open, then within an hour there may be three or four entries....It isn't a race, why not take the time to make it something presentable?



For me, I usually got a metric f*ck-ton of ideas and some of them deserve a few minutes, and others deserve (or need) more time to come to life.

People who aren't obsessed like us look at these things for 20 seconds tops and then they forget about them, or they smile because of a laugh and they hit "like" on facebook and THEN forget about them.

I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's work, but this is throwaway "art". Only you (and I) care that every single strand of hair was perfectly masked. No one else does, and frankly, because of this, you're not my audience. (which is probably why I win so infrequently but have more views than most of the winners do in any given contest...assuming that stuff is accurately tracked here, which I suspect it isn't).

My thing is, is it good enough to fool the eye for 10 - 20 seconds. If so, good enough. If not, then I need to un-shortcut the step that caused the image to look sloppy, even to the lay person.

I just made this for a thing I did re: Spud Webb vs. Nate Robinson (short guys in the National Basketball Association throughout time, for the non-Yanks or non-basketball fans out there)



Perfect? Nope, but it's a cool design (I think) and it does the trick for what it was supposed to. If I'd spent any more time on it, it would have been time wasted...in my opinion, of course.

I'm just not gonna spend that much time for something no one (not even me, after it's finished) cares about, and I'm especially not gonna do it when it's in the same style time after time after time after time...
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/21/2012 9:54:49 PM


Status: Attorney General
Oh, and if I had a nickle for every comment I got that said "clean work", I'd have a pocket full of nickles to go with my other pocket full of nickels from making pics for this site, so it don't show through all the time...
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

AzureSky
Independents
9/23/2012 12:22:48 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 9/21/2012 1:43:58 PM, Malcolmxy said:

the lighting on flav's suit was pretty good, though, no?



I've never worked with Corel software , but my question is ]]] doesn't Corel have a lasso tool like photoshop , where you can crop your image , Then fine tune it ???


Yeah...I prefer to use the magic wand and then "reverse mask" (unerase any portion of the pic that was taken out that shouldn't have been, then erase out any portion that remains that shouldn't. After that, pop off 1 to 2 pixels off the whole thing, "Smooth" it if necessary, feather it if necessary and then whatever. The only thing I ever mask is complex hair or something similar.)

More flav...no masking on this hair, even (it was a large enough source that it wasn't necessary)



DQ'd from W1K because it "didn't fit the theme" ...except it totally did.

(NOTE - Corel has nearly all the tools that photoshop has, but it's 32 bit, which sucks, and a lot of the tools aren't quite as good...I'm hoping some of the glaring issues get fixed with X5. X4 was a big improvement over X3, so it's not out of the question Cross your fingers...)


Cool image Malcom, you are getting better and better all the time.
Just curious, what difference does 32 bit versus 64 bit make?
Many people here are still on 32 bit.
Whatever you do, the contest entry can only 350kb so I don't see the problem.
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

pegleg
Independents
9/23/2012 2:03:43 PM


Status: Presidential Chief of Staff
It really only benefits the pros who may be using lots of RAM, extremely large files, maybe batch processing, animations... The the 64-bit version can access amounts of RAM beyond what Photoshop can access when the 32-bit version is run. You can take advantage of more than 4 GB of RAM only when you are on 64-bit systems, using 64-bit Photoshop. If you use files that require more than 4 GB of RAM, and you have enough RAM, all the processing you perform on your large images can be done in RAM. It's not necessary for Photoshop to swap out to the hard disk. Some people think 64 bit Photoshop is faster, but isn't really it's primary purpose. most processes aren't sped up at all.

Comments: 1761
Contest Entries: 199

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/23/2012 10:31:59 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 9/23/2012 2:03:43 PM, pegleg said:
It really only benefits the pros who may be using lots of RAM, extremely large files, maybe batch processing, animations... The the 64-bit version can access amounts of RAM beyond what Photoshop can access when the 32-bit version is run. You can take advantage of more than 4 GB of RAM only when you are on 64-bit systems, using 64-bit Photoshop. If you use files that require more than 4 GB of RAM, and you have enough RAM, all the processing you perform on your large images can be done in RAM. It's not necessary for Photoshop to swap out to the hard disk. Some people think 64 bit Photoshop is faster, but isn't really it's primary purpose. most processes aren't sped up at all.




Colors are restricted at 32 bits and certain plug ins have to revert to 8 bit color as opposed to using 16bit. There are other calculations that are more precise at 64 bit which improve quality, and 32 bit photoshop is a bit different than 32 bit Corel, but yeah...faster, able to use bigger source images (which is an advantage) and some other stuff...mostly color, though.

a lot depends on your motherboard and bios.

I picked up an old Wacom tablet today, but it's a serial input and I don't have serial inputs on this PC...the adapters are stupid price new, so I gotta wait for the used joints to open up tomorrow so I can grab an adapter and start messing stuff up with it. It's gotta make the little bit of drawing I do better, and it looks like once you become accustomed to it, you can rip through things way faster because it appears that you can zoom and perform another function at the same time...I have no idea at the moment, though, because I'm too lazy to learn about it until I have it in front of me, ready to use.
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

AzureSky
Independents
9/24/2012 5:39:24 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
My trusty old Dell has a maximum of 4gb ram. RGB has gazillions of colours compared to cmyk. I don't think 64bits makes any difference. I have a 64bit pc with 64bit CS6. Didn't find much, if any difference.
Wacoms aren't too hard to use. Benefits:- you can choose the pressure of the stylus. Left/right click. My problem with it is the tablet itself could do with being better. Zooming is easy enough with ctrl + or zoom out ctrl - flatten ctrl 3.
On the whole, I like the mouse and have as much if not more control over it. That is probably habit as I have had Photoshop since 2000, starting with Photoshop 5.
My first three years work was awful when it came to complicated stuff. I used to subscribe to Lukol, it had jokes and in 2003 FN started so there was a link to it. I joined FN in January 2005.
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

AzureSky
Independents
9/24/2012 5:40:30 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
My tablet is about 6 inches square so I could do with a bigger one.
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
9/24/2012 1:41:05 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 9/24/2012 5:39:24 AM, AzureSky said:
My trusty old Dell has a maximum of 4gb ram. RGB has gazillions of colours compared to cmyk. I don't think 64bits makes any difference. I have a 64bit pc with 64bit CS6. Didn't find much, if any difference.
Wacoms aren't too hard to use. Benefits:- you can choose the pressure of the stylus. Left/right click. My problem with it is the tablet itself could do with being better. Zooming is easy enough with ctrl + or zoom out ctrl - flatten ctrl 3.
On the whole, I like the mouse and have as much if not more control over it. That is probably habit as I have had Photoshop since 2000, starting with Photoshop 5.
My first three years work was awful when it came to complicated stuff. I used to subscribe to Lukol, it had jokes and in 2003 FN started so there was a link to it. I joined FN in January 2005.



your PC isn't 64 bit. the operating system is (or isn't). Most people would know the difference if you put a 32-bit machine next to a 64-bit one. I would, but then I've usually got 12 things running at once and the extra gig of ram would become apparent quickly.
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Page 1 2 3

You must log in to comment!

home - register - login - contests - galleries - FAQ - terms of service - tutorials - guidelines - privacy - copyright - contact - ^top

ObamaCare Monopoly Drink and Drive Heath Ledger + $10 Banknote Will Smith Eggplant Head Planting Tree on the Moon You're Done!

2020, Freaking News. Code by Worth1000. Page generated at 2/28/2020 1:46:57 AM in 0.109 seconds.