Hi guest. Welcome to FreakingNews! Register (free) or Login     
    Live Help  
FreakingNews homepage
Forums | FN T-Shirts | Chat Room | Site News | Member Search | Hall of Fame | 

All Forums
News Contests Discussions

NRA etc


Register or Login
to Post in This Thread.


Page 1 2
GeneralPepper
7/23/2012 6:23:56 PM


Status: Swing Voter
NRA etc

Well, I'm pleased to observe the immediate and prevalent reaction to my post under "Aurora, Batman, NRA" but regret it's gone off theme thanks to Malcomxy & chums!
I think satyr is an excellent tool to convey ideas. That's why I try to visit FN daily. From time to time, I submit an entry, admittedly not as top notch as many of the other regular contestants, but I enjoy this means of expression.
I'm strongly against the premise that carrying a gun is a good way to be safe (just check out violent death stats in various democracies). I think 220-year-old Amendment II has been twisted & turned from its original proposition ("A well regulated Militia…") just to suit a mighty lobby of thugs.
Here's a quote from FN rules: "Our members Photoshop whatever is hot in the news". FN moderator's censorship annoys me. The rules are clear when it comes to ... , like it or not. There's a rule saying no reference to Nazis (although I recall a recent chop where an SS uniform was used and was not pulled). I find no rule concerning a Richter scale of sorrow that states that passing level 5 will get you pulled; where does the war in Ukraine stand, the Costa Concordia, a meltdown in Fukushima or a hurricane in the Philippines?
I hear that 4 chops referring to Aurora were pulled from this week's news contest… 13 are left. That's 25% - 1 in 4 - of the contestants!
Oh, Congrats to Chili on your silver. The subject? 6 Israeli tourists murdered in a bomb attack.
Comments: 556
Contest Entries: 162
Allons Enfants...
AzureSky
Independents
7/24/2012 4:16:19 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 7/23/2012 6:23:56 PM, GeneralPepper said:

"-where does the war in Ukraine stand, the Costa Concordia, a meltdown in Fukushima or a hurricane in the Philippines?
I hear that 4 chops referring to Aurora were pulled from this week's news contest… 13 are left. That's 25% - 1 in 4 - of the contestants!
Oh, Congrats to Chili on your silver. The subject? 6 Israeli tourists murdered in a bomb attack."



General Pepper, I understand where you are coming from However the examples you use are of countries inhabited by people who are unlikely to view Freaking News. The Aurora tragedy is way to close to home for North Americans, Europeans and Australians.

It would have been highly inappropriate to Photoshop the massacres below

Dunblane massacre 1996

Cumbria massacre 2010

Massacre of village 1987

The Dunblane massacre led to a ban on guns being owned by the public. People can still get guns though, farmers for instance.

If I lived in America I would definitely have a gun because you are allowed to use one to defend your home and property.

You can end up in jail if you attack a burglar. Crazy but true





[Edited by User on 7/24/2012 4:19:25 AM]
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

GeneralPepper
Independents
7/24/2012 6:07:53 AM


Status: Swing Voter
Dear Bleu Ciel... I read you: US & UK are out because lots of people might feel nausea seeing satyr on what guns do to people.
But a chop about blowing up a few Iraeli tourists in Bulgaria is OK.
P.S. Did you re-read your last 2 paragraphs before submitting?


Comments: 556
Contest Entries: 162
Allons Enfants...

AzureSky
Independents
7/24/2012 6:52:02 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 7/24/2012 6:07:53 AM, GeneralPepper said:
Dear Bleu Ciel... I read you: US & UK are out because lots of people might feel nausea seeing satyr on what guns do to people.
But a chop about blowing up a few Iraeli tourists in Bulgaria is OK.
P.S. Did you re-read your last 2 paragraphs before submitting?





Yes I did! You need a gun in America because it is a tradition there. Also you are allowed to defend your home.

You are completely missing the point about Aurora. FN decided to withdraw chops about it out of respect for the victims and their families. Nausea doesn't come into it.

By the way a satyr is a mythical creature with goat legs human body and horns on its head.

The correct spelling is satire.

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

AzureSky
Independents
7/24/2012 8:04:56 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
Satyr

... addicts are also called Satyrs

[Edited by User on 7/24/2012 8:06:37 AM]
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

GeneralPepper
Independents
7/24/2012 8:40:26 AM


Status: Swing Voter
Ah, Tradition!
Penultimate paragraphe says: Have a gun to defend your home.
Followed by last parag.: Go to jail if you use it.
Buying one in the 1st place is kind of a waste of money, Non ?

Point: Obviously, you're pro-firearms. I imagine you riding Jolly Jumper down Oxford Street into the setting sun, a pair of 6-shooters at each hip and Winchester straped to your saddle. And you can imagine me an anti-guns FN member just trying to make a point using a wicked tragedy to illustrate the stupidity of the firearms sitution in the US.

Nausea: You mean Israeli, Japanese, Philippino... families are not worthy of respect?

P.S. pardon my Greek, I stand corrected! Thankyou.
Comments: 556
Contest Entries: 162
Allons Enfants...

Malcolmxy
Independents
7/24/2012 12:43:47 PM


Status: Attorney General
America #1

Israel...Aaaaaaaaaah...who cares? Things blow up there all the time. Who can keep up?

(The concern is advertisers. You are on a for profit website. Offend someone too much, they will make noise. If they make too much noise, advertisers will pull their business. If one does this, another one might as well...pretty soon there aren't enough advertisers to fund the site and bye-bye Freaking News.

It's not Rocket Surgery - the key is not offending Americans because they are the ones to whom most advertisers cater, they have the most delicate sensibilities, and they're the kinds of douchewads who would feign outrage over a picture and call Hormel, or whomever, about it.)

God Bless America
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

GeneralPepper
Independents
7/24/2012 1:27:03 PM


Status: Swing Voter
"Delicate sensibilities"... I like that!
Do you think NRA are potential advertisers on FN?
Comments: 556
Contest Entries: 162
Allons Enfants...

Malcolmxy
Independents
7/24/2012 1:36:41 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 7/24/2012 1:27:03 PM, GeneralPepper said:
"Delicate sensibilities"... I like that!
Do you think NRA are potential advertisers on FN?



The NRA doesn't advertise. They don't need to.



Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

AzureSky
Independents
7/24/2012 1:40:24 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 7/24/2012 12:43:47 PM, Malcolmxy said:
America #1

Israel...Aaaaaaaaaah...who cares? Things blow up there all the time. Who can keep up?

(The concern is advertisers. You are on a for profit website. Offend someone too much, they will make noise. If they make too much noise, advertisers will pull their business. If one does this, another one might as well...pretty soon there aren't enough advertisers to fund the site and bye-bye Freaking News.

It's not Rocket Surgery - the key is not offending Americans because they are the ones to whom most advertisers cater, they have the most delicate sensibilities, and they're the kinds of douchewads who would feign outrage over a picture and call Hormel, or whomever, about it.)

God Bless America



You are absolutely right, I would add that FN attracts adverts from whatever country they are viewed from. I see mostly UK advertising or products that are available here. I presume this applies to Europe, Asia, The Americas, Australia and Africa.

As you say Malcolm, advertising keeps FN running. It doesn't have to ask for money from the government or banks. This way it keeps independence

However, I completely understand the decision to respect the feelings of victims of Aurora, this is the right thing to do.
As for the Isrealis and any terrorist supporting country, they are fair game for chopping.



Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

AzureSky
Independents
7/24/2012 2:00:25 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 7/24/2012 8:40:26 AM, GeneralPepper said:
Ah, Tradition!
Penultimate paragraphe says: Have a gun to defend your home.
Followed by last parag.: Go to jail if you use it.
Buying one in the 1st place is kind of a waste of money, Non ?

Point: Obviously, you're pro-firearms. I imagine you riding Jolly Jumper down Oxford Street into the setting sun, a pair of 6-shooters at each hip and Winchester straped to your saddle. And you can imagine me an anti-guns FN member just trying to make a point using a wicked tragedy to illustrate the stupidity of the firearms sitution in the US.

Nausea: You mean Israeli, Japanese, Philippino... families are not worthy of respect?

P.S. pardon my Greek, I stand corrected! Thankyou.



General, I will explain this to you

If I lived in America I would definitely have a gun, because you are ALLOWED to use a gun to DEFEND your home and property.

I live in England
You can end up in jail if you shoot a burglar. This is because of our severe anti gun laws.

I am not against guns provided they are used for recreation, gun clubs, competitive shooting.

Britain has never had the right to bear arms like Americans. I do feel banning everyone, including Olympic marksmen was a step too far. We can't even have air guns for target shooting now.

America is a huge place, many people live in isolated areas. Others in places where there is a likelihood of burglary by armed robbers.

Therefore, as it is part of the American tradition I think it is OK for responsible citizens to have guns. I do feel they need to be more careful who is able to get guns and ammunition.


You ask about Japanese, Isreali, Philippino. Maybe you should study your history books.

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
7/24/2012 2:16:20 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 7/24/2012 1:40:24 PM, AzureSky said:

On 7/24/2012 12:43:47 PM, Malcolmxy said:
America #1

Israel...Aaaaaaaaaah...who cares? Things blow up there all the time. Who can keep up?

(The concern is advertisers. You are on a for profit website. Offend someone too much, they will make noise. If they make too much noise, advertisers will pull their business. If one does this, another one might as well...pretty soon there aren't enough advertisers to fund the site and bye-bye Freaking News.

It's not Rocket Surgery - the key is not offending Americans because they are the ones to whom most advertisers cater, they have the most delicate sensibilities, and they're the kinds of douchewads who would feign outrage over a picture and call Hormel, or whomever, about it.)

God Bless America



You are absolutely right, I would add that FN attracts adverts from whatever country they are viewed from. I see mostly UK advertising or products that are available here. I presume this applies to Europe, Asia, The Americas, Australia and Africa.

As you say Malcolm, advertising keeps FN running. It doesn't have to ask for money from the government or banks. This way it keeps independence

However, I completely understand the decision to respect the feelings of victims of Aurora, this is the right thing to do.
As for the Isrealis and any terrorist supporting country, they are fair game for chopping.






#1 - The Israelis don't "support terrorists". They are, for the most part, victims of an eons old war centering around religious philosophy.

The Israelis stamp out terrorists. You attack Israel, you die, your wife dies, your child dies, and 20 random people you know or are related to die, and no one else dies, unlike the U.S. (supported by NATO countries like The UK) where overreaction reigns supreme (which is exactly what the people who perpetrate acts of terrorism want).

This is why, despite being close to "the terrorists", geographically, no one messes with Israel and everyone continues to target The US (well, it's one of the reasons why, anyway).

#2 - Terror comes from the same Latin root as horror. It means a fear so palpable that it causes you to tremble.

Do "the terrorists" cause this level of fear in you? If not, then they're not terrorists. They're political dissidents of many nations who have legitimate beefs with the west, but don't have the military might to fight conventionally with the nations who are either directly suppressing their people and culture, or supporting the people who are suppressing their people and culture.

#3 - So-called terrorism is a tactic of war. The called us Yanks terrorists in the American Revolutionary war because we wouldn't stand in a line with our muskets as The Brits stood in a larger line with their muskets so that they could slaughter us.

"Terrorists" are not to be feared or hated any more that a battalion in an army. To give them more credit or weight than that is to succumb to their tactics.

#4 - America has the largest economy (BY FAR) of any country in the world. Add in Canada and Mexico and we dwarf the rest of the world combined (since they are our largest trading partners, and the ones also being targeted by advertisers in the US Market).

You might have UK adverts on your PC, but it's the ones on my PC that matter for this site, monetarily.

Like I said, agree or disagree from a moral and ethical standpoint all you like, but this is, and always shall be, about Americans.

We're arrogant for a reason, ya know? We paid for the right to be so.
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

AzureSky
Independents
7/24/2012 2:26:59 PM


Status: Commander in Chief
malcolmxy



#4 - America has the largest economy (BY FAR) of any country in the world. Add in Canada and Mexico and we dwarf the rest of the world combined (since they are our largest trading partners, and the ones also being targeted by advertisers in the US Market).

You might have UK adverts on your PC, but it's the ones on my PC that matter for this site, monetarily.

Like I said, agree or disagree from a moral and ethical standpoint all you like, but this is, and always shall be, about Americans.

We're arrogant for a reason, ya know? We paid for the right to be so.



I understand what you say about Isrealis. Why I wonder did they shoot British soldiers in WW2? I think it is entirely wrong the way they rode roughshod into Palestine and have made their lives H3LL ever since.

Are you aware FN is owned by a Russian gentleman called Newsmaster? (Vladislav Golunov)

Freaking News history






[Edited by User on 7/24/2012 2:39:41 PM]
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
7/24/2012 2:43:41 PM


Status: Attorney General
I thought Newsie was an Aussie like Mac w/Fries. Well, he's as affable as most Aussies I know, so whatever. I don't care about someone's nationality/ethnicity unless they do...especially online.

I don't like what the Israelis are doing to the Palestinians either, especially since the Italians did the EXACT same thing to them (walled them into their little portion of Rome and only provided one entry/exit to that portion of the city).

It's tantamount to mass torture, and if anyone should know better, it's the Israelis.

At the same time, Jews have been subject to a holocaust every century since the dawn of Christianity. They've earned the right to be a little on edge about these things.

Israel/Palestine is one of the few political situations in this world that I believe to be unsolvable (despite Jimmy Carter, bless his heart). It's a mess that's not likely to get better any time soon.

It's funny, too, because the Roman Jews make some of the most beautiful tableware in the world, and every time a new pope is voted in by the college of cardinals, these same Jews make a commemorative plate and present it to the new pope.

If I were them, I'd break it over his goofy hat adorned head, but that's just me, probably.

[Edited by User on 7/24/2012 2:43:57 PM]
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Malcolmxy
Independents
7/24/2012 3:28:20 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 7/24/2012 2:00:25 PM, AzureSky said:

General, I will explain this to you

If I lived in America I would definitely have a gun, because you are ALLOWED to use a gun to DEFEND your home and property.




If you lived in America, as an American (which you, and everyone else in the world has the right to become, should you choose to do so), then your gun ownership wouldn't be about defending your property, unless your property became subject to tyranny from an oppressive internal or external power.

The 2nd Amendment doesn't exist so that Ted Nugent and shoot off his AK-47 at whatever random wildlife happens to cross his path. That is a side-effect of the amendment. Personal protection from criminals is also a side effect.

The 2nd Amendment exists so that the need for a standing army wouldn't exist.

For all the good it did, given that America has the largest standing army in the world, if not in terms of the men and women within it, then certainly in terms of the firepower and destruction it can cause.

I hate gun nuts and personal protection advocates. I love guns and the 2nd Amendment. Too bad no one seems to understand that particular part of the US Constitution anymore. I guess they don't read the writings of James Madison (the man who penned the US Constitution) or Thomas Jefferson (the man who wrote the document used by Madison as a template for the US Constitution) or Ben Franklin (the man who desperately tried to have the abolition of slavery added to the US Constitution, but ultimately failed in that endeavor).

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Nothing in there states that you have the right to pop off a home invader, but just like ... ography is a side effect of the 1st Amendment (free speech, association, religion), so is personal protection a side effect of the 2nd one.
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

news1st
Independents
7/24/2012 3:59:54 PM
Status: Commander in Chief
"Man Lives in His Greatest Comfort When He is Allowed to Reside in His Own Insecurity." - Tracy Mapes

Meaning? "Man is Willing to Give Up even His Most Personal Privacy and Freedom to Never Cross the Boundaries of His Own Fear." - Tracy Mapes
Comments: 1401
Contest Entries: 275

Malcolmxy
Independents
7/24/2012 5:04:31 PM


Status: Attorney General
[reply]On 7/24/2012 3:59:54 PM, news1st said:
"Man Lives in His Greatest Comfort When He is Allowed to Reside in His Own Insecurity." - Tracy Mapes

Meaning? "Man is Willing to Give Up even His Most Personal Privacy and Freedom to Never Cross the Boundaries of His Own Fear." - Tracy Mapes[/reply]

[i]Those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither[/i] - Ben Franklin

The actual quote is much longer, but you get the gist. I think you're confusing men with apes, as was Mapes.

Also, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it. (Plato figured that out a lot earlier. HeIl hath no fury like heIl, no?)



There is a Devo song which will explain the nearly every moral/ethical dilemma or ill of human nature. Believe that.


[Edited by User on 7/24/2012 5:10:55 PM]

[Edited by User on 7/24/2012 5:15:12 PM]
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

AzureSky
Independents
7/24/2012 5:15:11 PM


Status: Commander in Chief
Malcolmxy said,
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed



For that to work training in groups would be necessary. We have a Territorial Army in Britain composed of civilians. When there is a war they are called up first. Many have been or still are, serving alongside our regular army.

We have armed police units. SWAT teams, teams where high security is needed. I think H3LL will freeze over before ordinary citizens will be allowed to bear arms.

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
7/24/2012 5:17:53 PM


Status: Attorney General
Yeah...that's what our National Guard is supposed to be, and what the militia in Norway actually is.

It got co-opted quite some time ago.

Don't look at me. I didn't co-opt it.
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

AzureSky
Independents
7/24/2012 10:41:37 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 7/24/2012 5:17:53 PM, Malcolmxy said:
Yeah...that's what our National Guard is supposed to be, and what the militia in Norway actually is.

It got co-opted quite some time ago.

Don't look at me. I didn't co-opt it.



"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor New Jersey a fury like a woman scorned," William Congreve, 1697

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
7/25/2012 2:14:05 AM


Status: Attorney General
I didn't say I didn't co-opt the quote. I said I didn't co-opt the US National Guard...sheesh.
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Page 1 2

You must log in to comment!

home - register - login - contests - galleries - FAQ - terms of service - tutorials - guidelines - privacy - copyright - contact - ^top

Ronald McDonald Painting Two Faced Sylvester Stalone and Arnold Schwarzenegger Poltician Debt Ceiling Race Squirrel Rhino Elton John Smiley Peace and Love Dove in the Sky

© 2020, Freaking News. Code by Worth1000. Page generated at 2/18/2020 4:05:00 AM in 0.094 seconds.