Hi guest. Welcome to FreakingNews! Register (free) or Login     
    Live Help  
FreakingNews homepage
Forums | FN T-Shirts | Chat Room | Site News | Member Search | Hall of Fame | 

All Forums
News Contests Discussions

Entry into Apprentice Contests


Register or Login
to Post in This Thread.


MiniS
6/4/2012 9:03:14 PM


Status: Hall Monitor
Entry into Apprentice Contests

Does anyone else feel, like me, that it is odd that you can't enter an Apprentice Contest if you have 5 gold medals at that level, but can if you have a string of cups at the Advanced Level? Surely even a wooden cup at the Advanced Level shows a much higher level of skill than that of an Apprentice - let alone silver and bronze and sometimes even gold!

I haven't even bothered entering lately, even though I often have a play with the source picture, because the top places keep going to choppers who have proved themselves in the Advanced Section.
Comments: 226
Contest Entries: 34
HoHouse
Republicans
6/4/2012 11:01:18 PM


Status: Commander in Chief
The ones in the apprentice contest now are still nubile young things, and they will get their 5 gold medals faster, then will move on. Some with 5 gold medals will win cups in advanced, some will just enter and hope to be in the top 10, which is the goal of less advanced choppers. The Rainman only has 1 gold medal and 336 gold cups out of 1174 entries. I have 2398 entries and 3 gold cups, but it took me 18 months to get 5 gold medals, and 5 years to get 3 gold cups. That's the name of the game, if you enjoy what you do, Just do It, if not, it a long road and education,programs to the top.
Comments: 4128
Contest Entries: 7084
HoHouse

MiniS
Democrats
6/5/2012 1:38:20 AM


Status: Hall Monitor

On 6/4/2012 11:01:18 PM, HoHouse said:
SNIP, SNIP The Rainman only has 1 gold medal and 336 gold cups out of 1174 entries. SNIP, SNIP.



So this means that he could, if he wanted to, come back and win 4 more gold medals in the Apprentice Section. I suppose that I don't understand why choppers who have proved that they are not Apprentices want to come back and make it more difficult for those who really are.

Comments: 226
Contest Entries: 34

macwithfries
Independents
6/5/2012 4:37:20 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 6/5/2012 1:38:20 AM, MiniS said:

On 6/4/2012 11:01:18 PM, HoHouse said:
SNIP, SNIP The Rainman only has 1 gold medal and 336 gold cups out of 1174 entries. SNIP, SNIP.



So this means that he could, if he wanted to, come back and win 4 more gold medals in the Apprentice Section. I suppose that I don't understand why choppers who have proved that they are not Apprentices want to come back and make it more difficult for those who really are.




No....5 gold trophies in either the apprentice or advanced section (or a combination of both) makes someone ineligible for the the apprentice contests.


Comments: 5844
Contest Entries: 230

diamonds
Independents
6/5/2012 5:07:29 AM


Status: Political Science Professor
MiniS, I think you should not doubt your talent, I am sure you could win over others quite easily!
Comments: 1308
Contest Entries: 62
Trust Yourself - you know more than you think you do!

MiniS
Democrats
6/5/2012 6:46:55 AM


Status: Hall Monitor

On 6/5/2012 4:37:20 AM, macwithfries said:

On 6/5/2012 1:38:20 AM, MiniS said:

On 6/4/2012 11:01:18 PM, HoHouse said:
SNIP, SNIP The Rainman only has 1 gold medal and 336 gold cups out of 1174 entries. SNIP, SNIP.



So this means that he could, if he wanted to, come back and win 4 more gold medals in the Apprentice Section. I suppose that I don't understand why choppers who have proved that they are not Apprentices want to come back and make it more difficult for those who really are.




No....5 gold trophies in either the apprentice or advanced section (or a combination of both) makes someone ineligible for the the apprentice contests.



But someone with 336 silver cups could - or someone with 336 silver cups and 4 gold cups...


Comments: 226
Contest Entries: 34

macwithfries
Independents
6/5/2012 6:56:26 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
Technically yes.....but I haven't seen anyone do that and I would think that anyone with 336 silver cups and 4 gold cups would realize that the app contest wasn't the place for them.
Comments: 5844
Contest Entries: 230

AzureSky
Independents
6/7/2012 12:03:48 PM


Status: Commander in Chief
I have said many times that it is just about impossible for ordinary choppers to win or get in top 4.

What happens is the super choppers enter nearly every contest and waltz off with the prize money. A further annoyance is when they enter 3 or 4 and push people down the list.

There is an apprentice contest and an advanced. Many of us are between the devil and the deep blue sea. We just don't have the highly polished professional skills of the top choppers, nor are we likely to acquire them any time soon.

It certainly puts me off entering, knowing I haven't got a cat in h3ll's chance of winning. The sooner we have an intermediate section the better. There are more than enough choppers for the Champion's league.

I think there would be a big upsurge of entries if there was an intermediate section like they have at Worth 1000. Surely attracting a substantial number of entries for the Intermediate section would be a great idea?

What the criteria for being in the Champion's league would be I am not sure. I would suggest 20 trophies as entry level. Considering AZRainman has 336 Trophis he will probably carry on winning.

The Intermediate contest might attract a different style of entry too. Surely that would be more entertaining to look at?
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

vicspa
Independents
6/12/2012 4:16:13 PM


Status: Commander in Chief
I agree with Azure sky in having an intermediate section.
I strongly urge to get it going.
Comments: 955
Contest Entries: 360

Kellie
Independents
6/12/2012 7:09:03 PM
Status: Commander in Chief
Az...

Worth does not have Intermediate contests at all, it has an Advanced section, which is the same as our everyday contests, just another name & it also has Beginner contests as we have our Apprentice contests.

It does have Head 2 Head contests also, which are usually decided who will play between the members themselves, then the contest is set up, it does not have a Freak Show (do as u please) and it does not have the Week in Pictures either.

So here at FN u have much more of an array of choices/contests to choose from anyway, unless you are a writer or photographer which W1K has contests for also.

In my opinion if you start another level of competition, call it Intermediate if you will, then after awhile I can see those players in there that do not win, wanting another contest/section also...and on it would go.
Comments: 16532
Contest Entries: 291

AzureSky
Independents
6/12/2012 7:26:36 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 6/12/2012 7:09:03 PM, Kellie said:
Az...

Worth does not have Intermediate contests at all, it has an Advanced section, which is the same as our everyday contests, just another name & it also has Beginner contests as we have our Apprentice contests.

It does have Head 2 Head contests also, which are usually decided who will play between the members themselves, then the contest is set up, it does not have a Freak Show (do as u please) and it does not have the Week in Pictures either.

So here at FN u have much more of an array of choices/contests to choose from anyway, unless you are a writer or photographer which W1K has contests for also.

In my opinion if you start another level of competition, call it Intermediate if you will, then after awhile I can see those players in there that do not win, wanting another contest/section also...and on it would go.



Hmm I can see your point. I must have got confused with the way Worth have illustrative contests and realism contest. I haven't been for a while.

I see so many people who are unhappy with the current system. It can be upsetting to see the same people win over and over again. Especially when those people put several entries in.

I am not sure what the answer is. But I do wonder if the apprentices would appreciate a stepping stone to the advanced contests. Would a three tier system be so bad?

As for anyone wanting more than that it is tough luck. Three is more than enough and if decided on should stay that way. They can be directed to this thread.

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Kellie
Independents
6/12/2012 7:45:25 PM
Status: Commander in Chief
It seems pretty obvious that those beginners trying to win in the General contests have bit off more than they can chew & should continue in the Beginners section, if by time they have 5 Gold cups and still feel they cannot compete then there is the problem...

Maybe up the Gold Cup numbers if anything to allow them to play longer in the Beginners section is all I can think of.

Then you're prob going to get the beginners starting up then saying that these users too are too advanced for that section.

Really, there's always going to be some sort of dispute either way it's played out.
Comments: 16532
Contest Entries: 291

AzureSky
Independents
6/13/2012 11:45:58 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 6/12/2012 7:45:25 PM, Kellie said:
It seems pretty obvious that those beginners trying to win in the General contests have bit off more than they can chew & should continue in the Beginners section, if by time they have 5 Gold cups and still feel they cannot compete then there is the problem...

Maybe up the Gold Cup numbers if anything to allow them to play longer in the Beginners section is all I can think of.

Then you're prob going to get the beginners starting up then saying that these users too are too advanced for that section.

Really, there's always going to be some sort of dispute either way it's played out.



Yes, I must admit many of the complainers have not graduated out of the apprentice section. I wonder what they would say if they were barred from the advanced group until they graduated?

It is a bit like passing your driving test. Once you pass that's it. That doesn't include truck tests and advanced tests. They would be the equivalent of animation which we don't do here.

Not everyone has the same degree of knowledge or skill. Some have fairly specialised skills. Others may be great at dynamic hit you in the face stuff but not subtlety. Etc, etc.

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

diamonds
Independents
6/15/2012 6:19:24 AM


Status: Political Science Professor
Could I just enter the rhetoric here, in the Apprentice Section, I would love to see comments, hints, helping comments etc. Isn't that what apprenticeship is all about?

I know for a start I have a huge problem with perspective etc. I would love for people to comment on my pic, and not without me having to particularly ask about how to do something.

I still only use paint.net as I am not convinced that I will ever be a great chopper, but unless someone comes along and offers some advice, I cannot see how I can get too much better, no matter what program I use and the outlay is just too great just atm.

However, I am not out to win, I really am out just to improve at this point in time.

Perhaps the wrong forum, but if you are going to vote a 5 or 6 in the Apprentice Section, it is mandatory to offer advice to the chopper?

For me, I would truly love it, and would take any criticism or otherwise on the head and use it to better my chops. I for one would not take offence, and would find it totally useful!

Thanks for reading anyways

[Edited by User on 6/15/2012 6:22:36 AM]
Comments: 1308
Contest Entries: 62
Trust Yourself - you know more than you think you do!

AzureSky
Independents
6/15/2012 6:54:13 AM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 6/15/2012 6:19:24 AM, diamonds said:
Could I just enter the rhetoric here, in the Apprentice Section, I would love to see comments, hints, helping comments etc. Isn't that what apprenticeship is all about?

I know for a start I have a huge problem with perspective etc. I would love for people to comment on my pic, and not without me having to particularly ask about how to do something.

I still only use paint.net as I am not convinced that I will ever be a great chopper, but unless someone comes along and offers some advice, I cannot see how I can get too much better, no matter what program I use and the outlay is just too great just atm.

However, I am not out to win, I really am out just to improve at this point in time.

Perhaps the wrong forum, but if you are going to vote a 5 or 6 in the Apprentice Section, it is mandatory to offer advice to the chopper?

For me, I would truly love it, and would take any criticism or otherwise on the head and use it to better my chops. I for one would not take offence, and would find it totally useful!

Thanks for reading anyways

[Edited by User on 6/15/2012 6:22:36 AM]



There are free programmes, such as Gimp which have many photoshop features. If you look in the Photoshop techniques forum you will find links to other free tools. If you type "perspective tutorial" in the search box, you should get good results.

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

diamonds
Independents
6/15/2012 7:53:04 AM


Status: Political Science Professor
Thanks A/Sky
Comments: 1308
Contest Entries: 62
Trust Yourself - you know more than you think you do!

MiniS
Democrats
6/15/2012 9:07:16 AM


Status: Hall Monitor

On 6/12/2012 7:45:25 PM, Kellie said:
It seems pretty obvious that those beginners trying to win in the General contests have bit off more than they can chew & should continue in the Beginners section, if by time they have 5 Gold cups and still feel they cannot compete then there is the problem...

Maybe up the Gold Cup numbers if anything to allow them to play longer in the Beginners section is all I can think of.

Then you're prob going to get the beginners starting up then saying that these users too are too advanced for that section.

Really, there's always going to be some sort of dispute either way it's played out.


This wasn't the point that I was making in starting this thread - it seems to have become totally distorted in the discussion. I'm not trying to win in the Advanced section - if I enter in that section and end up in the top 50%, I am absolutely thrilled.

What I was saying is that it is hard for beginners to enter the Apprentice section and find that they are competing against choppers who have a row of cups in the Advanced section. In my opinion, such choppers are not apprentices.

Comments: 226
Contest Entries: 34

AzureSky
Independents
6/15/2012 7:42:57 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 6/15/2012 9:07:16 AM, MiniS said:

On 6/12/2012 7:45:25 PM, Kellie said:
It seems pretty obvious that those beginners trying to win in the General contests have bit off more than they can chew & should continue in the Beginners section, if by time they have 5 Gold cups and still feel they cannot compete then there is the problem...

Maybe up the Gold Cup numbers if anything to allow them to play longer in the Beginners section is all I can think of.

Then you're prob going to get the beginners starting up then saying that these users too are too advanced for that section.

Really, there's always going to be some sort of dispute either way it's played out.


This wasn't the point that I was making in starting this thread - it seems to have become totally distorted in the discussion. I'm not trying to win in the Advanced section - if I enter in that section and end up in the top 50%, I am absolutely thrilled.

What I was saying is that it is hard for beginners to enter the Apprentice section and find that they are competing against choppers who have a row of cups in the Advanced section. In my opinion, such choppers are not apprentices.




I just took a look at the rules,

"This is an Apprentice Contest. You are eligible to enter this contest if you have less than 5 golden trophies at Freaking News. You have 7 days to submit your entry. Submitting it early will give you plenty of time to read the critique comments and edit your image accordingly."


So you can have lots of silver, bronze and woody cups but less than 5 gold cups.

Gold cups are very hard to get. I have been here over 7 years but only have 5 gold cups.

Since I started the competition has become much tougher as we now have highly skilled professionals entering in increasing numbers.

This means FN is a world class photoshopping site. Therefore, the competition is extremely fierce.
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


You must log in to comment!

home - register - login - contests - galleries - FAQ - terms of service - tutorials - guidelines - privacy - copyright - contact - ^top

Rasta Barack Obama Mr. Bean Money Hairy Miranda Kerr Hillary Clinton as the Joker TomKat Snail With His Camping Shell

2020, Freaking News. Code by Worth1000. Page generated at 2/18/2020 3:38:26 AM in 0.078 seconds.