Hi guest. Welcome to FreakingNews! Register (free) or Login     
    Live Help  
FreakingNews homepage
Forums | FN T-Shirts | Chat Room | Site News | Member Search | Hall of Fame | 

All Forums
News Contests Discussions

I have to agree with AzureSky re:- Certain voters


Register or Login
to Post in This Thread.


Page 1 2 3 4 5
vicspa
Independents
5/8/2012 1:10:30 PM


Status: Commander in Chief
" However if any older images did not participate in any contest (were only published in personal galleries, blogs, etc.) are OK to enter. The Rodney's images you talked about were not entered in any contests prior to FN."

My only objection to that is people have seen the publication and know who it is and that defeats the purpose of being anonymous in a contest.



[Edited by User on 5/8/2012 1:11:02 PM]
Comments: 955
Contest Entries: 360

Laredog
Independents
5/8/2012 1:57:20 PM


Status: Speech Writer

On 5/8/2012 1:07:23 PM, NewsMaster said:

On 5/8/2012 10:12:09 AM, vicspa said:

I watched one chop (a good one) be posted elsewhere prior to voting and then receive a second place here.
I've watched Rodney P (Seriously Mr. Pike.... not trying to cap on you), enter chops that have been published elsewhere long ago and then win here.
STOP the Madness people.
Follow the rules.

I, not having read all the rules ( my fault ) entered something that was published a few years ago, and it was QUICKLY removed because of that.

Images entered in any previous CONTESTS (FN or elsewhere) are not allowed to be entered again. However if any older images did not participate in any contest (were only published in personal galleries, blogs, etc.) are OK to enter. The Rodney's images you talked about were not entered in any contests prior to FN.




To Newsmaster: Good to know it's ok to post in blogs, Facebook, Twitter, elsewhere. Although such posts should tip off who a piece belongs to and 'could' effect voting in my opinion. It is good to know I no longer have to wait to post in FB, just because I'm in a silly contest thingy. Thank you for clarifying.
Comments: 239
Contest Entries: 111
Laredog "Gone Fishing"

Malcolmxy
Independents
5/8/2012 2:05:01 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 5/8/2012 9:31:24 AM, AzureSky said:

On 5/7/2012 1:48:23 PM, Malcolmxy said:
This would be my example...this is one of the most challenging things I have ever made (copying the style of Andre The Giant with another character, doing so solely with a picture of that character and a ton of trial and error until I achieved what I set out to achieve), and while I never entered it in a contest here, I'm sure if I did, it would do as universally poorly as it has everywhere else I did enter it. Makes no difference to me, though, as it remains one of the things I've made of which I am the most proud.



Sometimes others know the score, and sometimes they figure it out later. Other times, they never figure it out. If you're in the game, though, you always know the score, and every once in a while, you find another player who does as well. Beyond that, what more can you ask for, really?



Malcomxy I don't understand your image, at first I wondered if it was one of those optical illusions but I couldn't see anything. Please can you explain?






Look up "Andre the giant has a posse". Same artist who did the Obama "Hope" posters. Mine is the emperor from Star Wars, and I used the same picture the have in wikipedia and nothing else to make it (no plug ins...I just put the pic through a series of blurring and black and white and messing with levels until I got something that mimicked the original, but with a different person...mine isn't perfectly symmetrical like the original, but if you look it up, you'll see that the original isn't the original. AZRainman used the original, original in a piece recently...probably my fave thing of his I've seen recently, in fact...it only got 2nd place, but that's because his other piece got 1st.)
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Malcolmxy
Independents
5/8/2012 2:12:11 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 5/8/2012 1:57:20 PM, Laredog said:

To Newsmaster: Good to know it's ok to post in blogs, Facebook, Twitter, elsewhere. Although such posts should tip off who a piece belongs to and 'could' effect voting in my opinion. It is good to know I no longer have to wait to post in FB, just because I'm in a silly contest thingy. Thank you for clarifying.



If others here have access to your facebook, etc, you should wait, though...if you're not well liked (I never know these things because I tend to like everyone online about the same), it could hurt you, and if you are, it contributes to an aura of favoritism. I'm sure there are no rules against it, and I have entered stuff from various of my many photo sharing accounts out there, but I try not to add anything that is immediately and easily findable, and I don't add new stuff to these pages until after the contest if I can help it.

That's a personal choice, but it's one of those things that I think can help to end the clique-ish behavior I see on these types of sites (though I'm sure it doesn't happen here...*)

*add appropriate level of sarcastic tone as per your liking...
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

NewsMaster
Independents
5/8/2012 2:51:28 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 5/8/2012 1:57:20 PM, Laredog said:
To Newsmaster: Good to know it's ok to post in blogs, Facebook, Twitter, elsewhere. Although such posts should tip off who a piece belongs to and 'could' effect voting in my opinion. It is good to know I no longer have to wait to post in FB, just because I'm in a silly contest thingy. Thank you for clarifying.


It's allowed, but we encourage members to wait till the contest voting is finished, just to eliminate the friend voting effect. The final choice is yours.
Comments: 99153
Contest Entries: 14
Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.

Laredog
Independents
5/8/2012 3:32:47 PM


Status: Speech Writer
AZRainman's posting of the Frankenfruit or whatever picture on Facebook (May 2) is one of the examples I speak of. AZR is truly a great chopper.... nothing personal or harm meant. But just want a fair playing field. I thought at the time, it would be good to post something I was working on, get some help and maybe.....set up voters to know it's mine and vote nicely. THEN I THOUGHT IF THEY KNOW it's me...they will vote harshly... Hahahahaaaaa.
Fair and unbiased voting is what I seek.
It doesn't exist here. Not now. If the moderators all know who did which piece (and of course they do) and perhaps friends in a clique know as well....well...the voting will never be completely fair or unbiased. Just by me writing here will probably hurt my point score.
It is sad only because this is a 'paying' site. If it was just for fun only, then I could see leaving everything the way it is.
But because it is a for pay contest site.... it is vital that voting is fair.
WE ARE NOTHING WITHOUT FAIRNESS.
Comments: 239
Contest Entries: 111
Laredog "Gone Fishing"

AzureSky
Independents
5/8/2012 5:01:21 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 5/8/2012 1:10:30 PM, vicspa said:
" However if any older images did not participate in any contest (were only published in personal galleries, blogs, etc.) are OK to enter. The Rodney's images you talked about were not entered in any contests prior to FN."

My only objection to that is people have seen the publication and know who it is and that defeats the purpose of being anonymous in a contest.



With so many images on the web it is highly unlikely we will see a chop before it appears on FN. I don't have time to look, it takes long enough to find images to use for chops. Then there is the chopping time.
I always do my best, knowing full well it is highly unlikely I will win. Chopping is an addiction as well as a learning process. My early ones have loads of errors.

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

AzureSky
Independents
5/8/2012 5:04:53 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 5/8/2012 3:32:47 PM, Laredog said:
AZRainman's posting of the Frankenfruit or whatever picture on Facebook (May 2) is one of the examples I speak of. AZR is truly a great chopper.... nothing personal or harm meant. But just want a fair playing field. I thought at the time, it would be good to post something I was working on, get some help and maybe.....set up voters to know it's mine and vote nicely. THEN I THOUGHT IF THEY KNOW it's me...they will vote harshly... Hahahahaaaaa.
Fair and unbiased voting is what I seek.
It doesn't exist here. Not now. If the moderators all know who did which piece (and of course they do) and perhaps friends in a clique know as well....well...the voting will never be completely fair or unbiased. Just by me writing here will probably hurt my point score.
It is sad only because this is a 'paying' site. If it was just for fun only, then I could see leaving everything the way it is.
But because it is a for pay contest site.... it is vital that voting is fair.
WE ARE NOTHING WITHOUT FAIRNESS.


I don't think there is any clique voting. What would be the point of voting high on a poor chop? It would be blatantly obvious if that went on. Our top choppers win because of their skill.
It would not benefit Freaking News to have poor chops win because of favoritism towards their friends.

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
5/8/2012 5:41:16 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 5/8/2012 5:04:53 PM, AzureSky said:

I don't think there is any clique voting. What would be the point of voting high on a poor chop? It would be blatantly obvious if that went on. Our top choppers win because of their skill.
It would not benefit Freaking News to have poor chops win because of favoritism towards their friends.




There are a group of people here who are equally as good as others, and within that group are a group of people who share a similar style/aesthetic.

I'm not even saying it's intentional, but one thing that vicspa showed with his "Grumpy Man" winner is that if you conform to that contingent's style, you are more likely to be successful, even when the quality of the conforming chop is, at times, no better than one someone else has done, only in a different style.

Again, I'm not saying anything is either on purpose, harmful or inherently unfair about any of this. It simply doesn't conform to my tastes, which isn't the job of those running the site, or participating in it, to do, anyway.

I do, however, as I've stated previously, think that people should police themselves in the posting of images in places/sites/social networks they know others who vote here will be able to see, thus removing the veil of anonymity the site tries to place on these entries.

Personally, if I voted, I would penalize entries I voted on for this mistake/practice. I don't think there should be a rule against it, and I'm not saying others should do as I do, only that it is what I would do if I would do the thing that I first must do to start doing that thing which I do neither of.

Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it (if you can figure out how...I know I wouldn't know how to...I barely understand it, and I'm the one who wrote it)
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

diamonds
Independents
5/8/2012 6:45:55 PM


Status: Political Science Professor

On 5/8/2012 5:04:53 PM, AzureSky said:

On 5/8/2012 3:32:47 PM, Laredog said:
AZRainman's posting of the Frankenfruit or whatever picture on Facebook (May 2) is one of the examples I speak of. AZR is truly a great chopper.... nothing personal or harm meant. But just want a fair playing field. I thought at the time, it would be good to post something I was working on, get some help and maybe.....set up voters to know it's mine and vote nicely. THEN I THOUGHT IF THEY KNOW it's me...they will vote harshly... Hahahahaaaaa.
Fair and unbiased voting is what I seek.
It doesn't exist here. Not now. If the moderators all know who did which piece (and of course they do) and perhaps friends in a clique know as well....well...the voting will never be completely fair or unbiased. Just by me writing here will probably hurt my point score.
It is sad only because this is a 'paying' site. If it was just for fun only, then I could see leaving everything the way it is.
But because it is a for pay contest site.... it is vital that voting is fair.
WE ARE NOTHING WITHOUT FAIRNESS.


I don't think there is any clique voting. What would be the point of voting high on a poor chop? It would be blatantly obvious if that went on. Our top choppers win because of their skill.
It would not benefit Freaking News to have poor chops win because of favoritism towards their friends.




I am with you AzureSky - what would be the point?

Laredog, I would not have a clue who you are, what the pictures are that you entered and therefore would have no need to vote poorly. Or on anyone else's chop actually. These guys and gals who win are just amazing choppers and deserve it.

Do you look at the vote history of each chop - it seems obvious to me that most vote fairly, and you quickly see the ones who do not.
Comments: 1308
Contest Entries: 62
Trust Yourself - you know more than you think you do!

AzureSky
Independents
5/8/2012 10:44:59 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 5/8/2012 5:41:16 PM, Malcolmxy said:

On 5/8/2012 5:04:53 PM, AzureSky said:

I don't think there is any clique voting. What would be the point of voting high on a poor chop? It would be blatantly obvious if that went on. Our top choppers win because of their skill.
It would not benefit Freaking News to have poor chops win because of favoritism towards their friends.




There are a group of people here who are equally as good as others, and within that group are a group of people who share a similar style/aesthetic.

I'm not even saying it's intentional, but one thing that vicspa showed with his "Grumpy Man" winner is that if you conform to that contingent's style, you are more likely to be successful, even when the quality of the conforming chop is, at times, no better than one someone else has done, only in a different style.

Again, I'm not saying anything is either on purpose, harmful or inherently unfair about any of this. It simply doesn't conform to my tastes, which isn't the job of those running the site, or participating in it, to do, anyway.

I do, however, as I've stated previously, think that people should police themselves in the posting of images in places/sites/social networks they know others who vote here will be able to see, thus removing the veil of anonymity the site tries to place on these entries.

Personally, if I voted, I would penalize entries I voted on for this mistake/practice. I don't think there should be a rule against it, and I'm not saying others should do as I do, only that it is what I would do if I would do the thing that I first must do to start doing that thing which I do neither of.

Now, put that in your pipe and smoke it (if you can figure out how...I know I wouldn't know how to...I barely understand it, and I'm the one who wrote it)



I agree pics should not be posted on social networks before a contest. Have you seen this happen?
I don't have a pipe but am smoking a roll up at the moment. Would rather have weed, but not only is very hard to get, the penalties can be severe. It is criminal offence here.
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
5/8/2012 11:42:01 PM


Status: Attorney General

On 5/8/2012 10:44:59 PM, AzureSky said:

I agree pics should not be posted on social networks before a contest. Have you seen this happen?
I don't have a pipe but am smoking a roll up at the moment. Would rather have weed, but not only is very hard to get, the penalties can be severe. It is criminal offence here.



I haven't, but then again, I don't look for such things (you gotta realize how little I care about this as anything other than an interesting, highly emotional...for others...topic of conversation). I do think, if it is happening, though, that it's a bit of dirty pool.

I saw an interesting program on The BBC (BBC America) that looked into an England where all drugs were legal (not just decriminalized). It was interesting. They split it into a docudrama and round table discussion afterward. You should check it out if you haven't already.

But, yeah...you guys are stupid because you follow US drug policy instead of putting one together that works for you...for the most part. Our drug policy is stupid...stop doing that.
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

AzureSky
Independents
5/9/2012 3:49:49 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 5/8/2012 11:42:01 PM, Malcolmxy said:


I haven't, but then again, I don't look for such things (you gotta realize how little I care about this as anything other than an interesting, highly emotional...for others...topic of conversation). I do think, if it is happening, though, that it's a bit of dirty pool.

I saw an interesting program on The BBC (BBC America) that looked into an England where all drugs were legal (not just decriminalized). It was interesting. They split it into a docudrama and round table discussion afterward. You should check it out if you haven't already.

But, yeah...you guys are stupid because you follow US drug policy instead of putting one together that works for you...for the most part. Our drug policy is stupid...stop doing that.



I don't think I have seen the programme, it was most likely censored over here.
Our politicians follow American policies like sheep unfortunately, so does the EU.
I read 1984 by George Orwell in the 1970's. Now many of his predictions have come to pass.
Britain has more laws than any other country in the world. Parliament and the EU keep making more.
I am beginning to wonder when we will need a licence to use the toilet.
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
5/9/2012 7:18:09 PM


Status: Attorney General
[reply]On 5/9/2012 3:49:49 PM, AzureSky said:

I don't think I have seen the programme, it was most likely censored over here.
Our politicians follow American policies like sheep unfortunately, so does the EU.
I read 1984 by George Orwell in the 1970's. Now many of his predictions have come to pass.
Britain has more laws than any other country in the world. Parliament and the EU keep making more.
I am beginning to wonder when we will need a licence to use the toilet.
[/reply]

I think they call it The Loo in England...just tryin' to help.


Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

AzureSky
Independents
5/10/2012 5:38:09 AM


Status: Commander in Chief
Drugs debate

The programme was broadcast in 2005 and was called "If... Drugs Were Legal"

It is available online Documentary If..Drugs were legal

Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

AZRainman
Independents
5/11/2012 10:41:37 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 5/8/2012 3:32:47 PM, Laredog said:
AZRainman's posting of the Frankenfruit or whatever picture on Facebook (May 2) is one of the examples I speak of.



I pulled that image from the Propaganda Posters contest, since it was flagged for not using an old poster. I then posted it on FB, thinking that's over with. I come to find out it wasn't necessary to pull the image, cause there were several other entries where not designed from old posters. Rather than wasting a few hours for nothing, I decided to re-entered it in the News of the Week contest. Rare exception...
Comments: 5946
Contest Entries: 1145
"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity." -George Carlin

AzureSky
Independents
5/12/2012 1:22:28 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 5/11/2012 10:41:37 PM, AZRainman said:

On 5/8/2012 3:32:47 PM, Laredog said:
AZRainman's posting of the Frankenfruit or whatever picture on Facebook (May 2) is one of the examples I speak of.



I pulled that image from the Propaganda Posters contest, since it was flagged for not using an old poster. I then posted it on FB, thinking that's over with. I come to find out it wasn't necessary to pull the image, cause there were several other entries where not designed from old posters. Rather than wasting a few hours for nothing, I decided to re-entered it in the News of the Week contest. Rare exception...



Knowing how much time and effort you put into your chops I can understand you not wanting to waste the entry. I really don't think it would have influenced anyone who understands how to vote.
Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Laredog
Independents
5/12/2012 2:00:08 PM


Status: Speech Writer
I'm just posting here....


Because Azure Sky has to have the last word on everything (like that makes her any more right) lol.

Hahahahahahahahaa AZ..... you're it!
Comments: 239
Contest Entries: 111
Laredog "Gone Fishing"

AzureSky
Independents
5/12/2012 2:42:48 PM


Status: Commander in Chief

On 5/12/2012 2:00:08 PM, Laredog said:
I'm just posting here....


Because Azure Sky has to have the last word on everything (like that makes her any more right) lol.

Hahahahahahahahaa AZ..... you're it!



Weeeell what do you expect from a woman! Especially one who is a great grandmother lol!




Comments: 12495
Contest Entries: 1352
Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Malcolmxy
Independents
5/25/2012 1:11:51 AM


Status: Attorney General
OK...I haven't been posting in this forum much (a thing for which I'm sure most are eternally grateful), but help me out here.

I don't expect to win these contests, and I don't care if I do at all, but when I get last place in a contest that had some god awful, sloppy, non-cohesively themed chops, I get annoyed enough to write something like this.

So, what is wrong with this chop:



The Saturday Night Fever pic ain't exactly of the highest quality, but that was the biggest, best quality version that I could find without spending untold hours looking for a better one, and I really wanted to put together what I did because I liked the symmetry with Travolta pointing upward, this was, BY FAR, The Bee Gees biggest selling album of all time (and was the highest selling album of all time until Thriller supplanted it a year after Thriller's release) and, along with Steve Martin's "Wild and Crazy Guy", it was my first "real" album ever (I had some Spiderman and Fantastic Four read along records as well as Peter and the Wolf and a few other children's records, but these two hand me downs from my parents at age 6 were my first "big boy" records...incidentally, the first records I purchased with my own money were Metallica - Master of Puppets and Prince - Love ... y...which is a highly underrated album due to the fact that Prince was p!ssed at Warner Bros at the time and refused to add tracking points to the album, so on CD, one was forced to listen to it from start to finish or fast forward, and fast forwarding wasn't a highly developed feature on CD players of the time...but, I digress).

Anyway, it is well faded from black to the clouds above (this took 3 layers of gradients) and also, Gibb's head fades quite well in the opposite direction, which is exactly the effect I was going for.

The word, "Tragedy", while perhaps thought to be somewhat irreverent by some (OK...so it was a little bit, but come on...it's the phukking Bee Gees, for God's sake, not Mozart), was actually a tongue-in-cheek tribute to the Gibb boys as this was the title to one of their biggest hit songs (and one of the few I still enjoy by them). I posted a link to it in the comments for anyone curious enough to click on it.

I also molded the word around his head (in Photoshop, I believe you call this Liquifying) so that it wasn't just hanging out there and I used a gradient that matched the sky fairly well so that it blended in more or less seamlessly.

And yet, last place. Can someone explain. Again, I wasn't expecting the win or nothing as I know this style doesn't play well here, but the work was of such a higher quality, both technically and conceptually, that at least half the other entries, I gotta wonder why it ended up in the cellar.

Is my stuff easy to spot, and because everyone knows I don't care about voting scores, for the most part, it's easy to vote me into last place and vote less deserving entries ahead of me? Because, if that's so, it's just insulting.

Or maybe it really does suck that bad and the stuff I saw that was all disjointed and poorly put together is really technically masterful and I am just oblivious to it all.

If that's the case, please do not hesitate to tell me so. Better to know I suck that to continue on not knowing.





[Edited by User on 5/25/2012 1:16:10 AM]
Comments: 847
Contest Entries: 271
War is over, if you want it

Page 1 2 3 4 5

You must log in to comment!

home - register - login - contests - galleries - FAQ - terms of service - tutorials - guidelines - privacy - copyright - contact - ^top

Saxophone Child Jack Nicholson Money Mike Huckabee Double Vision Runnint Along Barbed Wire at the 2008 Beijing Olympics Putin Claims Moon Petrified Golfer Tree

2020, Freaking News. Code by Worth1000. Page generated at 2/28/2020 2:42:09 AM in 0.094 seconds.